Friday, October 13, 2006

Once and Again

i went to the hairdresser's today. when it was finally my turn, the hairdresser sat me down on the chair, and asked me in english, "how...cut?". i told her to thin it down and give it a trim and she pointed to my hair and replied, "cut?". "okay, a little bit," i told her.

after much cutting, she pointed to my fringe and said, "f..fridge?" i couldnt understand her. so she pulled my fringe and shook it, and said, "cut..fri..dge?" i thought, okay, never mind, i'm speaking mandarin. i told her "a little bit(yi dian dian)" in chinese.

she stopped and stared at me for 2 seconds, and burst out laughing.

"ni hui jiang hua yu?!?" (translation: "you speak mandarin?!?")

YOU SEE, apparently, she thought i was a malay. which was why she spoke to me in english even though she didnt know how to speak it well.

saya bukan Melayu!

i'm starting to feel really amused about this.

6 comments:

ja said...

you look like malay ah?
hahahahahaa..
or is it cos you sound like one when you talk?

Seige said...

i didnt even open my mouth to speak when she asked me to sit on the chair. and she started talking first. lol.

that makes her the 3rd person this month.

sh said...

hmm im not seeing this. ida's mistaken as malay, i can see why. youu...don't look malay! to me! hrm. why ah?

ja said...

are you tan-ner? lol..the last time i saw you doesnt seem like it..

ja said...

hmm..maybe they think you look like indon...i got that once only before..hahaha..

Seige said...

what's the diff between and indon and a singaporean chinese? they look the same to me! haha

i've been told, malay.